This qualification is intended for junior managers of small organisations, junior
managers of business units in medium and large organisations, or those aspiring to these positions. Junior managers include team leaders, supervisors, foremen and section heads. The Generic Management learnership will cover all of the skills that is required of these positions. The Generic Management learnership programme will end with a successful student gaining a NQF which is a nationally recognized qualification. The Generic Management learnership is open to both employed and unemployed people. For those who have just finished with their schooling and are looking for future career paths, this Generic Management learnership offers the chance to both learn and work in the field. For a newcomer to the working world, gaining experience is so valuable. Without experience in any given field, it is difficult to land a job. Even if learners do not land a job with the company at which the Generic Management learnership is being done with, the odds will be in their favour when seeking a job upon completion. The Generic Management learnership is also an option for current employees who wish to expand their prospects within their organization and land a management position at a higher level. Herein lies a chance to climb the ladder with a study and work combination.
While the company offering the Generic Management learnership will benefit in tax rebates and a higher BBBEE rating, the service they offer is incalculable. Successful learners will leave the programme with a qualification and a knowledge base. learnerships offer people the chance to learn from industry experts. In the case of Generic Management, there is only so much that can be learned from books as the real challenge stems from actually putting the teachings to work in the workplace, in learning how to resolve conflicts or coming up with business strategies. When current employees take on the Generic Management learnership, therein lies an opening for the company to retain a worker and invoke loyalty. The best investment a company can make is in their employees themselves. Content workers lead to happier and more productive workers.
The Generic Management learnership will see students learning the management role in an organization while also receiving classroom based theoretical learning. Generic Management is part of a management development programme. The focus of the Generic Management learnership has been designed to enable learners to be competent in a range of knowledge, skills, attitudes and values including:
- Gathering and analysing information.
- Analysing events that impact on a business and its competitive environment.
- Complying with organisational standards
- Motivating an individual or team
- Negotiating in a work situation.
- Understanding the role of business strategy as it applies to junior management.
- Managing the budget within a specific area of responsibility.
- Applying management principles and practices within a specific area of responsibility.
- Managing work unit performance to achieve goals
- Behaving ethically and promoting ethical behaviour in a work situation.
- Demonstrating understanding of the consequences in a work unit of HIV/AIDS. The learners who achieve this qualification will be able to demonstrate competencies in management relating to Planning, Organising, Leading, Controlling and Ethics. Overall, this Generic Management learnership will ensure that learners are capable of:
- Developing plans to achieve defined objectives.
- Organising resources in accordance with a developed plan.
- Leading a team to work co-operatively to achieve objectives.
- Monitoring performance to ensure compliance to a plan.
- Making decisions based on a code of ethics.
An important factor in the Generic Management learnership is communication. Generic Management is there to produce competent middle managers. They will not only manage workers but will also be the go between for higher level management. The programme trains learners on how to handle both sides of the equation. This means a bit of public speaking when addressing workers or presentations when addressing upper management. Good communicating habits will also come in handy when handling conflicts. Communication is also essential when it comes to leadership, and this is another important element in management. Leadership does not only mean giving orders and seeing them through but motivating a worker or a team to perform at their maximum capabilities which will lead to an all-round increase in produc